Sunday, February 6, 2011

Master of Poooblic Health

I just got an email from a cohort member/friend from my MPH program. It was sent out to our whole group, asking for updates on what we've been up to since graduation 2005. Pretty sure I'm the only one NOT out saving the world, preventing global pandemics, earning more letters behind my name, etc.  And.... I've been just a lil insecure about that whole issue for the past few years.  So I considered not responding to the email. I considered just writing, "I have twins - whaddya THINK I'm up to?!"  But instead I entertained myself for a few minutes writing this out:

You want a professional update? Here ya go:
-I have spent the past three years heavily engrossed in direct contact fieldwork.
-My business travels are primarily domestic. However I frequently observe global activities related to my line of work via webinars directed by my colleague, Senorita Dora Explorer.
-I am a volunteer for an NGO, thus the salary is dismal. However, the fringe benefits are unparalleled. Thankfully I have a companion funding source exceeding our expenditure needs. One of my roles within this organization is to plan group conference presentations every Monday night, primarily on the spiritual dimension of health.
-I recently completed a health promotion project involving sanitation and proper waste removal training.
-I frequently have the difficult task of designing and implementing enforcement procedures of domestic policy. My primary objective is to create a state of complete physical, social, and mental well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
-Networking with colleagues is engaged in frequently via Facebook to discuss comparisons of determinants of health in juvenile populations.
-Much of my practice-based work has been in the area of maternal-child nutrition, with a strong emphasis on lactation.  The health benefits of extended breastfeeding is an area I am currently researching.  
-Tomorrow I will be doing my part to control preventable disease by overseeing the administration of primary immunizations.
-My target population is Caucasian twin infants and female preschoolers, residing in Cedar City, with the surname McKell. As this is a very narrow target population, only three individuals are in my study at present, though this number may increase if funding becomes available.  In the next decade or so, I see myself pursuing a highly precarious field of research – adolescent development.
-My work is regularly published. At a minimum, weekly – but often on a daily basis. I’ve elected to have my work featured solely online, as a printed journal would be subject to damage by crayons. My publications can be accessed at http://www.bcmckell.blogspot.com/ .  Much of it is epidemiologic in nature – cuz I’m peppi for epi.
-I have enhanced my MPH degree with additional education and training in diverse and seemingly non-related disciples, including culinary art, accounting, interior design, cosmetology, education, psychology, and acute medical care. My level of competency in these branches is highly questionable.
However, I am eternally grateful for my graduate schooling at BYU with my extraordinary cohort, as it taught me the principal skill I utilize in my daily responsibilities: MULTI-TASKING!
;)

15 comments:

Debbie said...

What amazing resume power!

Malerie said...

haha. awesome.

Kara said...

I'd hire you in a second...

Fei said...

Like, like, like!!!

DeAnne said...

I wish I was as good with words as you are :) That was awesome.

Becky said...

Ha ha ha! VERY well stated and so professionally! I love it! Even though I wasn't IN the MPH program...you are right, I thoroughly appreciated this post.

PS-I read your blog all the time...but usually I catch up on multiple posts at a time and then neglect to leave a comment. But, I'm here. And totally think you are a super woman/mom. Keep it up!

Melissa said...

Ha! That was fun to read!! You're awesome Chelsea! :)

Cindy Clawson said...

LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

amen

Jordan and Crystal said...

love it

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Smart, Witty, Well-written, and very snarky, as my politico friend would say. ;)

Erin Johnson said...

Chels, I can't believe you would have considered skipping out on the update--you have done more 'saving the world' than any of us. i echo Zane when he said how in the world do you find time to write a clever post like that with twins!!?

Sally Jackson said...

So whats an MPH? That was an awesome response! My resume would have pictures of rainbows and babies, and doodling. ha ha

Sally Jackson said...

oh nevermind--just reread the title of your post :)

Allison said...

Sounds impressive. And it is. :)