Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Love list

For some odd reason I think about babies a lot lately.
!!
This is really a singular time in my life right now. The majority of my years on earth will NOT be spent around babies/small children. But I get this little window of time where I get to be with babies constantly. They're such amazing little creatures. 
Here are a few thoughts. Nothing profound. I don't do deep - just simple and honest.
I'll probably add more as time goes on. Maybe edit some.
But just off the top of my head...

What I love about babies:
-Their smell after being bathed
-Swaddling them into burritos
-Their complete innocence and lack of accountability. They can't do anything wrong, so I can never get mad at them. It teaches me patience.
-A great burp after a full feeding
-Cottage-cheesy little BUMS!
-Seeing the man I love doing baby talk to them
-Their amazingly soft, clear skin - what I wouldn't give to have that right now!
-Smiles
-Snugglingsnugglingsnugglingsnuggling
-How they constantly follow me with their eyes
-Watching their drowsy eyes slowly close and go into deep sleep
-Babbling
-Playing Super Baby (airplane)
-Bathtime! Their wildly kicking appendages are so funny. 


What I don't love about babies:
-They can't talk and tell me what's bothering them
-They have no control over their bodily functions
-The zero-to-sixty freak-out cry
-Pacifiers
-Boogers
-Spit up
-Driving with them in the car. I have to pray they fall asleep and/or sit there contentedly, or pull over 100 times to check diapers and replace pacifiers.
-When they're overtired and JUST WON'T FALL ASLEEP.
-Dealing with car seat buckles/straps.
-Tears

What I love about having twins:
-Always a baby to hold when I feel like it!
-Four little eyes staring at me during tandem feedings
-Tandem feedings period. It's honestly a really amazing experience to breastfeed two at the same time. 
-Coordinating outfits
-Seeing them suck on each other - it's so funny. 
-Knowing they'll always have a playmate
-The funny-awkward comments people make to us
-Time savings (in the long term)
- Money savings (long term)
-The joy of snuggling two sweet babies at once
-The awesome twin-mom friends I've made by joining the exclusive club.

What I don't love about having twins;
-Always a baby to hold even when I don't feel like it!
-Having to choose one to make wait when they both need attention at the same time
-Plans for coordinating outfits ruined by bodily fluid leakage
-Short term high costs
-Staying home most of the time because it's so hard to go out
-The awkward comments people make to us
-The intensely frustrating noise of two babies crying at once
-When I'm happily cuddling one baby in the perfect sweet cuddling mood, but have to put him/her down because other baby is freaking out and needs me. Happy baby gives me this sad look like, "why did you stop our cuddle sesh? I'm being so nice!"   Heartbreaking.
-It's even harder to fit in my workouts because I have to get two babies settled instead of just one.
-My twin-skin belly

What should I add to my lists??

4 comments:

Megan Smith said...

(Long term) you will love that you wrote all this stuff down!

With twins I bet you'll love that they, along with Brianna, will grow up to be "THE" threesome, BFF's since birth!

Unknown said...

I have to think more because I love what you wrote down and don't like what you don't like.

I do LOVE to watch them discover body parts-first their fingers and hands and then their feet.

A little bundle already small, grabbing her feet and giggling, thats takes away all frustrations, even if its just for a moment.

I love watching Scooter play with his baby sister, and I love how her face lights up when he walks into the room.

Debbie said...

What a sweet effort. I read it all.

Crystyne said...

The way the stretch when they wake up.

The glazed over, almost drunk look they get one their face after nursing.

The milk mustache/beard.