Friday, November 5, 2010

3 months

I've heard/read that the first three months of this twin parenting gig are the hardest.
So now that we've officially survived it, I'm looking forward to everything being easier from now on. Right?! I can only hope...
Not that this has been THAT hard... I mean, I'm alive and well and not too traumatized. I've even been heard to tell people that if we have more kids, we'd want twins again. But that's only uttered in daylight hours. In the middle of the night, when I'm feeding Bennett for the billionth time and I haven't shut my eyes for more than 2 consecutive hours... the thought of doing this again makes me want to cry. If I could have two sleepers like Courtney, though... life would almost be as easy as it would be with just one infant! She's amazing - 11-12 hours each night, with one short feeding around 3am. So consistent and predictable. But Bennett... piggy Bennett... just screams out like he's being waterboarded if he doesn't eat every 2-3 hours. Or sometimes every hour. Oinker. I'd be more upset if he wasn't so dang adorable. By the end of most nights I'm so sleepy that I don't even bother putting Bennett back in his bassinet. He just stays next to me. I'm pretty sure that's when his content little sighs mean "VICTORY! I WON! FEEEEDD MEEE MOOOORREE!" He's noticeably heavier and longer and chubbier than his sister, who still spits up half of her feeding. He's wearing the 3-6 month clothes, she's in the 0-3 month. And I'm horrible about keeping them in gender specific outfits. I just grab whatever's clean+comfy+closest. That's most confusing for Brianna. She often calls them by the wrong name. It's sweet though... she doesn't even care which baby it is. She just wants to hug and cuddle and play with them both. I lovelove seeing her get excited in the morning to greet them, and kiss them night-night before they go to bed. It's amazing to me that she seems to truly love these little people who just suddenly appeared onto her turf to steal away much of her mommy-daddy time. She especially likes being around them now that they smile so easily. It just melts my heart when the sight of my face brings a huge smile to my babies'. I love my "face time" with Bennett and Courtney, where we all just stare at each other and have "conversations." I swear they think they're talking to me. The intonations of their ooooos and aaaahhhhs and their eyebrow expressions really do mimic adult language. Another favorite is when they're thinking about bursting into tears... they just pause, bottom lip jutted out...  and either go into full blow crying, or decide to return to contentedness.
What else to say.... um, they're using less diapers now. Maybe 6-7 per day instead of 10-11. But filling them. Often overfilling them. I do a lot of laundry. And I'm thinking this horrible increase in laundry duty isn't going to get any better for the next 18 years. Oye. And when they start eating solids in a few more months it could get worse and stinkier! Maybe I'll just keep exclusively breastfeeding until they're potty trained, so I never have to deal with nasty diapers. There's a good plan.
What else... I can't even think what there is to say about them, because I just assume I'll always remember exactly what having 3 month old twins is like. How could I forget... it's what I spend every minute of every day caring for. But the first 3 months of their lives is already a blur, so I bet in 9 months when I'm writing their first birthday blog post, the 12 months of their infancy will be a blur too.
Overall... we're doing great. There are moments where I'm overwhelmed and on a brink of having a meltdown, and moments where I have to pinch myself because I'm living my dream of being a mother of three beautiful children.

2 comments:

Julie said...

you amaze me - seriously!

Sally Jackson said...

Hey that's what I was going to say. I love reading about your mommmy journey. It's brutally honest and honestly sweet. And that Bennett--he likes his milk, eh! typical man. j/k