Thursday, September 23, 2010

Week 7

I don't know how long I'll keep doing these weekly updates. But I feel like writing so I'm going to write. It's interesting how I thought I'd totally have no time for unnecessary things like blogging once I became a busy mom of 3. Yet I've kept up my ridiculously frequent posting just like always. So I guess it's just like everything else in life - we never HAVE time for anything, we MAKE time for what we value. I value keeping a record of my family's activities and staying in touch with people I care about. This is the easiest way to do it. So... ON WITH THE POST!
Guess which baby always Houdinis out of the swaddle...
Life is slowly getting easier. Everyday I'm feeling physically and mentally stronger, now that I'm sleeping a teensy bit more and my owies are healed. Courtney gets the sleeping award - that little princess has consistently slept at least 6 hours every night this week. Last night was 7.5 hours straight. She must be trying to win the favorite twin award. I wish her brother would get more competitive though - he hasn't gone more than 4 hours straight yet. I think he likes to eat more than she does. But to his credit, he tends to be more mellow during the day. He'll just sit in his bouncer or propped up on the boppy and chill. Courtney prefers to be held. By "prefer" I mean she yells until someone picks her up. Then she's happy again. Until she's put down. Fortunately I lovelovelove holding her, otherwise this would be annoying. Thank goodness for my wraps & slings, or I'd never have both hands to do anything.
Onesie says "Daddy's Helper." 
They're still sleeping in their extra car seats in our room. I think I'll try to move them to their bassinet soon. Maybe. I just think they look so cozy all snug and propped up. They listen to heartbeats or ocean waves while sleeping. The rest of the time they listen to Josh Groban or Andre Boccelli. Gotta train them young. Oh and they also listen to my treadmill for an hour everyday. Not running yet (hoping to start tomorrow or Saturday), just speedwalking. It's a loud treadmill, and I have to keep them near it so I can see them, but it doesn't scare them like I thought it would. They usually sleep soundly the whole time!
Squished face Courtney

Bennett's hair is starting to grow back - that makes me veryvery happy. My poor little guy had male pattern baldness issues because I had scrubbed his baby hair off in my attempt to free his scalp from cradle crap cap. I've decided I prefer him having hair though. So the flaky skin remains. Courtney has it on her forehead. I love Courtney's face. Brian and I often gush to each other - "OH - she's so BEAUTIFUL! Look at her - so pretty! SO PRETTY!" Anyone else would get really annoyed having to hear someone so obsessed with their baby. Although we are very careful to try to give equal compliments and attention to Brianna. If I'm sitting down near Brianna, playing with Bennett and telling him what a handsome brilliant little man he is (in the ridiculous baby-talk tone of voice adults feel obligated to use with children, of course), I'll always throw something in like, "you're so awesome and strong and cool - just like your big sister Brianna! Hey Brianna, Bennett wants a high-five and a hug from you!" I spend a lot of time making Brianna feel loved. Even when I'm totally exhausted and can barely drag my feet around, if she wants to be held I hold her. If she wants me to push her on the swings I push her - even when that requires me holding both babies and pushing her with my feet.
Brianna loves napping with Bennett. He doesn't feel the same way.
And I send Brianna on important jobs like checking on a baby or reinserting a pacifier. She beams when I tell her what a great big sister she is. I'm not writing this down as part of my mother-of-the-year application... I just hope that she reads it someday and thanks me. Or at least shows her psychiatrist so he can see that I TRIED.
When are these babies going to start smiling and laughing at me?! I catch glimpses of their smiles while they're sleeping, or at random times... but not in response to my efforts yet. It's so awkward to smile and tickle and baby-talk to a little face that just blankly stares back. Maybe they're mad because we ran out of Huggies and now they're just in the cheap brands again until they can make it to size 2.

Happy daddy, with babies waving like mad scientists.
Hmm... what else... I could talk about their poo and gas routines... or I could just be done now.
They better start doing something else, or the Week 8 update will be more boring/crude diaper talk!

Sneak preview: babies' blessing day post coming soon!

1 comment:

The Gilson Girls said...

Isn't it funny that they are still too young to respond to you, and yet their personalities are already coming through? I remember first learning about how laid back and undemanding Caroline was. She woke me up one night with a little cry, so of course you are like, "ok, time for a feeding and change" but once I stood up there was no crying, and she was asleep, I think "cool and go back to sleep" 10 mins later, there is the cry again, and repeat of the whole thing. It took me 3 times to realize, that Caroline will continue doing this until you feed her. She is just letting you know she is hungry without being obnoxious about it. If you don't get her in 10 minutes she will let you know again.
Justine on the other hand, screamed her head off from the time she woke up till the time you shoved food in her mouth!
And you know what? Those personalities are still the same today.