Thursday, September 16, 2010

6 Weeks!

Courtney and Bennett must have been reading my baby sleep books, because right on schedule they've started sleeping for longer stretches at night! Well... one night anyway. Last night we put them to bed at 9:30, they slept til 1:30, ate, then slept 2am-4:30. That's amazingly good for them! And a full 4 hour stretch at the beginning felt amazing for Brian and I. He's so good about doing his part at night. With Brianna he rarely had to get up with me at night because I never really needed him to. I just kept her bassinet by our bed so I could just pick her up and feed her, then diaper changes were so quick, and she usually went right back to sleep. But this time around... Brian has had sleepless nights right along with me! But last night was better. And actually the night before that wasn't as bad as the week before. Hopefully this trend will continue. I'm trying really hard to teach the babies to fall asleep unaided. But it's SO easier said than done. I nursed Brianna to sleep all the time, and ended up with a 9 month old that still woke up 5 times/night, unable/unwilling to go back to sleep without being nursed for 30 seconds. We're not going there this time! Although another reason it's tempting is because I honestly love to breastfeed. I'm still amazed at how it all works - the whole foremilk/hindmilk system, the way babies are born knowing absolutely nothing except how to latch on and suck, the closeness, the ease of it all... I love it. The first week or two of soreness wasn't fun, but now it's my favorite part of the day (all 10-12 times - yeah, they eat a LOT!) And tandem feeding is sweet. It's so fun to watch four little eyes go from me to each other then back to me then close and drift off (and I'm supposed to try to keep them awake?! Ha!) They're both getting better at doing full feedings and not snacking. Though sometimes they pull off too soon and get sprayed in the face and up the nose - hard. Over-supply issue here! Is this TMI to be talking about booby milk? Tooooooo bad. This is my life. If I did bottles, I'd be blogging about cleaning them all day. But I do boobs. So that's what I blog about. Maybe if they'd start doing something besides eating and pooping I could blog about something other than milk and diapers. OH WAIT - they do - they've started doing a few little coos! I think that's what you call it. Cooing. The cute little noises. It's so nice to hear something besides crying come from their mouths.  
Brianna's doing pretty well with them. It's amazing how she can totally sleep through any crying she hears at night. The first few days she woke to it, and would yell, "MOMMY BABIES ARE CRYING!"  Oh thank you Brianna. As if I wasn't painfully aware. But she's stopped now. And actually she's started sleeping in later - like 7:30am. Thankyou Brianna! (not sarcastic this time).  The only issue we had is when she threw a pear at Bennett's head a few days ago. She hit him hard. He cried. But I don't think she was aiming for him. She also pushed him off the couch. Fortunately the boppy was on the ground and he was ok. I can't leave her alone with them ever. I don't think she'd intentionally hurt them.... but that could easily happen as she's just "helping" or "playing" with them. Today she told me she wanted to put Courtney on the swing set. Can you just imagine that one...
And now for the Mommy update... I'm doing SO MUCH BETTER! I can WALK now! Totally normal! I have some killer scars and an ugly knee for the rest of my life. Oh well. I can bend my knee almost 100%. It's still sore - like I got kicked in the kneecap by a horse. So no running. But by next week I'll try for sure. I've been speed walking on the treadmill and doing laps at the pool. It feels so incredibly awesome to exercise again. I'm like a druggie that hasn't had a hit in so long that the withdrawals almost stopped. But I'm happy to relapse. Brianna does pushups with me in the morning - I'll try to take a picture, she looks so cute trying. It feels so great to just function normally - walk to the mailbox, sit in a chair, sit on the floor, pick up stuff with my feet because my arms are full of baby (I know other moms do this too!)... I'm really grateful for a healthy body. Healthy - but far from in-shape. My belly is jelly. Seriously. So gross. And my pants are mostly all still too tight. But I've gotten rid of all my maternity clothes (thank you consignment store!) so I wear PJs a lot. Fifteen pounds to go. It's depressing to think of where I'd be at if I hadn't had the fall. I'd be doing a half marathon on Saturday. I would've been totally ready to hit it. I probably wouldn't be as jelly-bellied because I'd been running for 4 straight weeks. I can't even think about the half marathon, it's so depressing. A bunch of my friends are doing it. Ok must stop whining.
Bennett and Courtney are getting bigger! Everyone notices it. When visitors come by (everyday! I love it!) they comment on their size increase. They're even wearing size 1 diapers now and have outgrown all the preemie clothes. Bennett has some neck rolls. Courtney looks a lot longer. I swear she looks feminine and he looks masculine. Even if they were cross dressed I bet I could tell their genders. Maybe.  Or maybe I'm just a bragging over-confident mommy. I love being a mommy. I love having three kids. I love thinking about our future together - fun family vacations, FHEs, sports... I think life can only get more sweeter from here on out.

4 comments:

Jordan and Crystal said...

so glad they are sleeping better and you are able to walk etc....Love the pic of Brianna and all her babies!

Julie said...

love this post - it's so happy yay!!

Mary said...

So glad things are going better! It sounds like b&c are at least on the same night-time schedule. And it's great that you are healing so well. Do worry about where you would have been. You are just where most mommies normally are now, right?

Unknown said...

Every post I read of yours makes me wish we were closer, because our lives are so parallel right now (except that you have three and I only have two). I talk about boobs and breast milk in my posts, I laugh at the books that say to keep the kid away while they're eating, my belly is jelly, I rejoice at four hours of steady sleep, I have to watch out for overly helpful big sister, etc.