Sunday, June 13, 2010

Brianna's Most Special Aunt

Mid-April 2010. I forgot to post this along with the other Spokane-trip pictures. But it deserves it's own post anyways.

Just now as I was putting this on the screen, Brianna walked by and said, "I see Sammy at Merryglen!" I was really surprised she remembered. I hope Brianna gets to spend more time with her Aunt Samantha in the future. It's going to be really difficult to see her, since she can't travel far, and the thought of driving or flying 900 miles with a toddler and infant twins is logistically and financially difficult. I'm really grateful Samantha has a place like Merryglen to live, where she has 24 hr care and a home-like atmosphere with other residents. But I miss the days when I got to go see Sam everyday and take her on walks around the neighborhood. Though I never appreciated it growing up, I'm now very grateful that I had the unique experience of having a severely developmentally disabled sibling (though sometimes I think I actually grew up with SEVEN of them :)  I had to learn a lot of patience, tolerance, and not to be embarrassed or worry what others think. I remember going with Meredith and Sammy to a day camp every summer with other handicapped kids - several eating lunch through tubes into their abdomens, or drooling constantly, or making wild body spasms sporadically... definitely an eye-opening experience for me at a very young age (Sammy has Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome, in case you're curious).
Thinking of Sam now makes me want to be a better person and be more appreciative of having healthy body - though in the long run, she's the lucky one because she's innocent and protected from the temptations of this world, just like a small child. Last Sunday we had a lesson in church on the life of Christ, and it made me remember that someday He will make her whole again. I love and miss my Sammy.

5 comments:

BBS said...

Thanks for sharing this beautifully written post. I may have known this about you but forgotten...anyway, it is such a wonderful reminder to all of us of what this life is really about.

Becky said...

Very touching. Thank you for sharing your personal feelings and your sister. I really need to appreciate my healthy body more often.

Melissa said...

What a sweet picture! I love what you said about Sam...I feel the same way about Michael. He has been such a blessing to our family and has taught us so much!

Megan Smith said...

Would you like Sammy to come hang out with you for awhile?

Jordan and Crystal said...

Precious picture! she has such a sweet spirit!