Thursday, June 24, 2010

Better than frozen grapes

You all are familiar with the appetizing novelty that is frozen grapes, right? If not, you don't have the foundation to really appreciate the savory delicacy I am about to describe...
LITTLE FROZEN BANANA BITS!
So you go to the store and get the red-banded bananas. I'm not sure every store does this, but the ones around here do. They are usually .25/lb... super cheap. And veryvery ripe/sweet. Then you chop them up (or break them by hand, as Miss Brianna is demonstrating) and put them on a big tray to go into the freezer. I wish I could just throw them straight into freezer bags, but then they get all stuck together and you have a huge chunkball of banana bits. Very annoying). So we spread them out on a tray or two (or five), freeze til solid, then divide up in freezer bags. On freakishly hot summer days (like above 75), when eating anything remotely above room temp sounds torturous, pulling out a bag of these frozen banana bits is like candy. It makes my babies jump for joy. They're going to come out requesting banana-flavored breastmilk. And with the way I gorge on these, they'll probably get it.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Do you dip them in anything so they won't brown? If not, have you found that they go brown?

chelsea mckell said...

Nope, they didn't turn brown. They went straight from peel to freezer, so not a lot of air exposure. If they have any brown spots, it's because they were VERY ripe.

Sam and Melissa said...

Sweet! I am totally going to do this. I didn't think about freezing them before bagging them to avoid the mush. Glad to see you still have your banana obsession.

Megan Smith said...

There's only one store I know of here where I can find ripened bananas--weird, huh? I like the idea though, I'll have to try it.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love frozen grapes in the summer. We are totally going to try this at our house. Sounds very delicious - especially to this pregnant mama!

Becky and Brian said...

I will have to try that. I think Dean would like them.