Tuesday, June 15, 2010

31 week update

Well, technically 30 weeks, 5 days. I added some labels in case you're as bad at deciphering ultrasound photos as I am:
Baby boy weighs 3lb 6oz, baby girl 3lbs 6oz (I'd like to know exactly how they estimate that from just body part measurements). Both look perfect - no problems, as far as anybody can tell. We saw baby girl yawn and blink! Laying flat on the ultrasound table was torturous - I started sweating and getting light-headed. I wanted to just tough it out, but I really felt like blood circulation to my head had stopped. At the brink of DEATH, I finally told the tech and she was like, "oh, just roll a little and lay on your side."
Ten points for genius me. Lesson learned: complain sooner.
Brian and Brianna also came, but poor Brian didn't get to watch much of the action. As soon as Brianna realized it wasn't quite the "movie about her baby brother and sister" that I had promised, she wanted to go back to the clinic waiting room to play with the water fountain.
So grateful they're doing well. As long as we make it to 34 weeks, we can deliver here in Cedar. I'm hoping for 38 though - I want big babies! Even if it means a huge mama:
Yeah, that little point at the tip of the tummy mountain is my belly button. Be honest, is that gross? I'm tempted to stick a bandaid over it. Tempted...but that would be a waste of bandaids. I'm thrilled to finally be in the 30s for my weekly count. It just seems so far ahead of 29 - and makes me realize the end is near. The sense of urgency to get my house and life ready increases everyday, especially when I have any pains or aches - I get paranoid that I'm dilating. Brianna seems to really be noticing my large belly now and making comments - sometimes ones that indicate she might understand what's going on. She definitely knows which items in the house belong to "baby brodder and sizter." Confession: I weigh as much as my husband now. I burst into tears when I realized that. I blame the hormones though, because now I don't really care. He's actually lost almost 10lbs in the last year (thank you, ERAC car washing), so it's not fair. My doc wants his twin moms to gain 40-50, and I just hit a full 30. So if I add 2 more/wk, I'll be the range. I might only have 5 or 6 weeks left. The average twin gestation in the US is 35.3 weeks. I want to beat that very badly. 
Answer to the very-common "how are you feeling?" question - I'm doing just fine. Nothing major to complain about - just random joint pain occasionally. Amazingly, I'm still running almost everyday. Well, it's definitely called jogging now - like 6.5 on my treadmill. I'm always a little sore after. I might stop tomorrow. I've said that for a couple months now though. I just keep making myself do it because I know how extremely badly I'll miss it when I have to stop, and while I'm recovering from delivery. I'm totally killing my running shoes - they hate me for putting this much weight on them. I don't do as much weight lifting since I sold my Gold's membership - for some reason I'm not even remotely motivated to do it at home, though I have some equipment. I'm really grateful for the twice-weekly workout group I attend at the church building - Brianna runs around with the other kids while 5-6 of us moms do various cardio and lifting routines. My friend Andi comes with her boy-girl 4 mo. twins, and it gives me hope! Though she doesn't have a toddler too. I think that really separates me from other twin moms - having a toddler. Not just an older sibling - but a child that's half-baby and still very dependent. Maybe Brianna will surprise me and actually be a big sweet help with the babies. Or maybe she's revert to diapers and be resentful and jealous and destructive and dangerous. No idea what to expect there. 
The babies move around like nuts. Seriously, I don't think I ever go an hour without feeling movement. Sometimes it's simultaneous, but most of the time I think it's just one. I'm reading a book now (for the second time) called Mothering Multiples. Best book EVER for twin moms. Seriously - I've read a lot. Nothing beats this one.  (thus why I just linked to it several times). But it is also written for higher-order multiples - triplets, quads... honestly, that just blows my mind. I can't imagine having 3 or 4. Having two seems totally normal and awesome. Anything beyond this is just bizarre. And requires hiring a nanny and housekeeper. Though I'd really love to be able to hire a housecleaner. Maybe just once every other week. I'll see if I can talk Brian into it.
Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Anyone still reading this? Anyone? Really?! You're nice. You must love me. Or just be oddly fascinated with this twin-pregnancy and my tendency to divulge TMI.  
Time to (attempt to) sleep now.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Adorable pictures (and thank you for the labels, they do help). My mom delivered my brother and I (twins) at 38 weeks. He was 5 lbs 6 oz and I was 4 lbs 14 oz. Hopefully your babies will grow more!

The McClellan Clan said...

k you are seriously the cutest girl I've ever seen pregnant with twinners!!! I like the belly button, I've never had the chance to have one so I want one!! :) Good luck with it all. I can't believe you are still running, go SHEERA!!!

Megan Smith said...

You could be the "poster mama" for twins! I'm your mama and here in sacramento helping with the "quads"!
Yesterday, I started my day with a little journey that had me sitting on a giant green cricket and watching the wee ones.
I have to go now - I think I have to stop "someone from doing something"!

M and N Tenny said...

I know I've said this before, but I just LOVE reading your blog. It seriously make me happy, you have such a fun outlook on things, I'm always excited to see what you'll post about next. Keep 'em coming chick! And you look great!

Brandon and Kim said...

I have to agree you are super cute preggers. And with twins even, truly amazing. I hope those covers lasted through the wash, if not let me know. I have a new way of making them that I think are much more sturdy, so let me know and I cane make you new ones or the warm cover ones for winter.

Jordan and Crystal said...

i will be honest i am not of fan of the belly button....but it happens... I always tried to cover mine up...I can't believe your having twins you look Great!!!

Jami & Mark said...

I like the belly button....but that's a personal opinion, nothing more. I just don't like it on like 50+ year old guys with an umbilical hernia!! On you, and on prego women - I think it's cute ; ) Glad you are keeping us all updated - I have friends that went to 38 weeks w/twins, I think you have a good chance. Oh, and btw, the US tech estimates the size from different measurements (head to but, etc), and depending on the tech, they can be up to +/- 1 lb off.
Good to see your fam on Daddy's day, missed seeing you though- I'll drop in next time I'm near Cedar!