Monday, March 8, 2010

What NOT to do

Occasionally I'm asked advice about various topics that I should have some knowledge about - Public Health, distance running, baby & toddler issues... but most of the time, I can only feel comfortable telling what I've learned does not work.
Example:
Brianna has been pretty solid with potty training for the last few months - especially the last few weeks. She only has a diaper at night because she's still in a crib (and I refuse to change that - but that's another topic for another post). But I could never tell anyone else how to do it, because we had no real method or system or anything resembling normalcy. I could tell someone NOT to do this:The mini-potty. Ugh. It's such a mess to clean up and gross to empty out. It gets smelly if I don't Lysol it regularly. Just one more unpleasant chore I could've saved myself from by planning better. I should've bought an attachment for the regular toilet and a step stool so she could climb up solo. But now she likes her little potty and only wants to use it when we're at home. I have no idea how long this will continue, but I'm tempted to resort to using treats to get her to ditch the mini-potty, as I also resorted to with potty training several months ago. I always promised myself I wouldn't use food rewards for anything. Now she expects it everytime. Add that to my list of what not to do.
Maybe I'll do better with our second (and third) chance. Just 19 weeks left! (I hope!)

6 comments:

Jules AF said...

The idea of emptying out a mini-potty makes me kind of sick.

Jordan and Crystal said...

ya I told Jordan I would never do a mini potty...they are cute but no way would I like to clean it.

I got your message. Jordan and I have only one phone...what phone plan are you on? And when is a good time to call?

Me and Lily said...

If "one day" the mini-potty just up and disappeared...well, you would have to look and look and look for it. But if you could not find it, Brianna would just have to step up to the next option.

Ashley said...

Hey....Alli will only go on the mini potty, she thinks that our big potty has bugs in it and so we use the small one. I bought the attachment, the stool, and everything and it didn't work. I just think it awesome that she is so well potty trained. That is amazing. We are still struggling with #2.

Crystyne said...

You just might want to get one of those seats that fits on the regular toilet. That is how we got Mason to transition to the regular toilet. I think kids are just afraid they will fall in, so they stick with what they feel safe with.

blm_mckell said...

I would just get rid of the mini toilet and get her a stool. No use in trying to potty train her twice. Let her pick out the stool or let her decorate one.

I would also start getting her to sleep in a bed. It will be very hard on her and you if you try taking her out of it when the babies arrive.

Good luck. I hope things go smoothly for you.