Sunday, March 14, 2010

We dog-sat

...but when Brian got home from work, I told him that we had been given a dog by someone on craiglist.org who was giving theirs away last minute, along with all the gear. Brian was skeptical at first - "that dog looks just like the Gardner's dog." I replied (NOT keeping a straight face at all) "Yeah, crazy huh! Same kind of brown Lab!" He asked the dog's name. I wasn't ready for that one. I stuttered....ummm, HENRY. Brian said, "but you just said it was a girl?" And again, with my fantastic lying skills, I replied, "yeah, kinda crazy - they were weird to name a female dog Henry." But Brian still believed me! I seriously love my sweet gullible trusting husband!
I admit I felt pretty bad when he was so happy seeing "our new dog:"And then I had to tell him to show me how happy he was that we'd have to give her back to the Gardners in a few days:
Fortunately, he wasn't mad at me. Perhaps just felt a little silly for believing me so easily.... especially when I reminded him that I had told him a few weeks ago we'd be dog-sitting in March.
Dakota was a fun addition to our home for a few days. She slept in this crate, but spent all day in our backyard running around. Brianna and I attempted to take her on walks, but she's still a puppy so it was a little crazy. I doubt we'll ever own a dog - not until our kids are older and can do all the dog-care themselves. And then there's the on-going debate Brian and I have about whether to buy a purebred or adopt one from a shelter (I won't get onto my soapbox about that).
So I guess Brian will just have to get his dog-fix from our friends and neighbors. Seeing him wrestle around with this big puppy was cute.

2 comments:

Malerie said...

Haha. That's really funny!

Debbie said...

We flunked dogs. Specialized in "kids" instead. Dogs can be cool though. Big job.