Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not to be confused with Fannie Mae

I subscribe to a couple money-saving website/blogs. They let me know about good deals going on in internet-shopping world. Most of the time I scan through the page quickly then delete it, because I really don't care about the code to get 40% off at Banana (short for Banana Republic, according to the ultra-vogue) or earn a $50 off $500000 purchase at Anthro (perhaps some people are so busy shopping that they just can't spare the time to say the store's full name?)
These "deal" sites (ie, Hip2Save, PYP, ForTheMommas, Freebies4Mom - there are seriously thousands of sites like these) also do a lot of coupon scenarios, which I don't follow since I eschew the whole subscribe-to-six-sunday-papers game and don't want 10 boxes of betty crocker crap, even if they end up being 4 cents each.
BUT -the reason I continue subscribing and scanning through these emails (or are they called RSS feeds? I'm embarrassed I don't really know what that means) is because they often have some deals and freebies that just totally make my day. I get all kinds of fun stuff in my mailbox every week. But THIS freebie blew me away:
By filling out a little birthday calendar on the 1800flowers website, I got a $40 "fresh rewards" pass that could be used at all the companies under the 1800flowers umbrella - which included Fannie May! I waited until they had a free shipping promo going on, then placed my order. As tempting as it was to buy myself $40 worth of gourmet chocolates... I got two fabulous large tins of their dried fruit & nut mix. Seriously - best stuff ever. Brianna dove right in. It was amazing to me how gross my can of Krogers mixed nuts tasted after eating Fannie's mixed nuts. Quality makes such a difference. No cheap peanuts/raisins in this mix - we're talking roasted walnuts, cashews, almonds, dried blueberries, cherries, cranberries...... huge party in my mouth.
Of course I can't continue to live and snack in luxury, since just the container this treat arrived in probably cost more than twice the quantity of the generic version of the actual food inside.
But we enjoyed our moment of opulence.
Though Brianna's favorite part might have been the opening of the box:
Giving a 2yo control of the scissors makes me a responsible parent, right?
Brian was a bit alarmed when I told him a large package arrived for us from Fannie May - "is something wrong with our mortgage?!" Ha. Kinda ridiculous though that the two very different companies have the same name.

aNyWaYs....back to peanuts.

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

Um, I totally call in Banana... It's just easier!!

chelsea mckell said...

yeah, you would :)

DeAnne said...

ooooo, that looks really yummy!

Debbie said...

Could you maybe NOT let Brianna have SHARP scissors? Thanks.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Are they still giving those away? I really need some free nuts and dried fruit!