Monday, March 29, 2010

DiGiorno/St. Patrick's Day Party

There's a site called houseparty.com where you apply to host various product-centered parties at your home. You just fill out the app, and if you're selected the company sends you a bunch of free product samples so you can throw a party featuring their stuff. This particular promo was for DiGiorno and their new "Pizza & Breadsticks" product. How novel - everything you need all in one box. Even the dipping sauce. Junk food has reached new heights of innovation. I'm not even sure why I applied (a subconscious obsession with trying to win free stuff, perhaps?) but I was pretty surprised when I was selected as one of the winners and sent this package full of party goods ... then I was like - oh crap, now I have to throw a big party and really clean my house and deal with all the mess after and an overstimulated toddler. I know - I'm such a nerd. I'm definitely the type that would rather be invited to an event than to host one. But afterward I was totally glad we did it - everyone had an awesome time. Plus, after the babies come I doubt we'll do stuff like this. I wasn't sure how many pizzas they would send me (it ended up being 6), so I kept our guest list much shorter than I would've liked to. We had about 15 people over (including kids), but could've fit more (surprising to say, since our house is pretty small). The most fun part (for me, anyway) were the games we played. I love that "two truths and a lie" icebreaker - it made for some hilarious conversation. When everyone laughed, Brianna would do a forced-laugh too, which made everyone laugh harder. She was having a blast with so many people at our house and all the energy. Our last friends left at almost 10pm (quite late in weeknight young mormon family world) and we didn't settle her down enough to sleep til about 11. That's the latest she's ever been up in her short little life. The party theme was designed to be centered on March Madness... but since I'm not good with keeping track of all those touchdowns and goalies and stuff, we made ours a St. Patrick's Day theme. Everyone had to wear green and bring a green sidedish. I dyed veggie dip and oatmeal cookies green. We did some fun St. Patrick's Day trivia and gave out the prizes the company sent to us. I felt/feel a little hypocritical participating in a promotion for a product I don't actually believe in at all - it's just your typical frozen pizza made of cheap ingredients and full of transfat. I ate one piece and felt gross. Even Brian said it wasn't that great of a pizza and was pretty greasy. But like I said - the best part was enjoying a fun night with our friends. In green.

2 comments:

summer said...

you are the Queen of Free! How fun - and the pizzas aren't supposed to be the hit, the time spent together is...and that is exactly how it sounds! Wish we lived closer...I would have invited myself over :)

Debbie said...

Youj're just a party animal like your momma.