Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Best of both worlds

First I want to say how much it means to me that all my friends and family are so happy for us. I'm amazed at all the "congrats" offered in person, on the phone, and online. We feel very loved. My facebook page is crazy - I seriously got all choked up when I looked at it this morning and saw about 60 different WHOOHOOs. But I wasn't nearly as choked up as yesterday when I saw THESE:

Our new son and daughter! 5 fingers, 5 toes, fully functioning organs, and 9 ounces (145g/154g) each. That's normal size for a singleton baby at this length of gestation as well. They labeled our girl as Baby A, because she's closest to the exit and would be the first one out if I wasn't having a c-section. We got to see her brother, Baby B, punch her in the head. The ultrasound tech said they do that to each other 24/7. So our children will arrived already accustomed to regular beatings. Excellent.
Heart rates were 154 and 148 - which fuels the wife's tale that males have slower HRs. The boy was MUCH more active than our girl - she had her head up in the placenta. Thus no clear profile shots. And, obviously, no clear pictures period. I'd be impressed if someone can actually make out which body parts are being shown in each image. I'll have PLENTY of photo ops in the future (ie - an ultrasound at every single appointment starting in a couple months) so we're sure to get clearer views.
Brian's reaction when the tech announced our female child first: "Oh, a girl - that's awesome." Brian's reaction when the tech announced our male child: "I GOT A BALLER!" (ie, basketball player. Because he couldn't possibly play basketball with our female children, right?) Another good quote from Brian du
ring the 30 minute show: "This is way better than a regular movie." And afterwards, "Chel, you better go home and take a shower to get all that goop off your tummy." I love my husband.
Dr. H said I have the lowest-risk type of multiple pregnancy to have. The babies are in concordance (less than 20% diff in weight), they have their own sacs and placentas, the lab tests for neural tube and genetic defects came back negative, I have low BP and RHR and a history of healthy fullterm pregnancy. This means I won't have to travel all the way to St. George for appts with the perinatalogist, and I am unlikely to have to endure bed rest or have preemies. I'm also hoping to skip the drugs that stop early contractions. Those things are all at the top of my must-avoid list. I'm measuring at what would be 24 weeks for a singleton preg. That's about 5 weeks ahead, which will increase until I hit 30 weeks and am the size of a 40 weeker. I expressed my concern to Dr. H that I've already gained 15 lbs and he just laughed at me, saying I have a loooong way to go. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse when I have to stop running in a couple months. He said I don't have to change my exercise routine at all until it gets uncomfortable. Does anyone care about all these little details? Oh well. If I'm going to record them at all then it has to be here, because there's no way I'm keeping up a blog and a personal journal. Plus it might be helpful to someone someday. I've really enjoyed reading blog posts from other moms who've had twins (and not just SeriouslySoBlessed).

As much as I'm elated/thrilled about all this good news, the overwhelming feeling is simply relief. I've been so paranoid that something would go wrong with the pregnancy. But now I can relax a little. Our children are on their way!

21 comments:

Amanda said...

You are one awesome MOM! Yes, all capitals, for each baby. Seriously so exciting. Yeah for Girl B and Boy C!!!!

Sam and Melissa said...

That is so awesome Chelsea!!!!! What a cool experience. Brianna is going to love having a little sister, and little boys are so fun.

BBS said...

Love the title of this post...says it all! Thanks for sharing with us. So very happy for you!

Marilyn said...

How exciting! I am glad that they are both so healthy.

Jan said...

What a complete thrill!!!!! I'm telling you, I about teared up seeing the pictures, and I'm not even your Mom. Healthy, beautiful little babies, both of them. What a completely awesome miracle! Congratulations. I hope the second half of the pregnancy goes just as well as the first half. What an exciting thing for you and your whole family!!!

Chelsea and Cody said...

Yay! Congrats...so glad that all is going well.

Unknown said...

Yay for healthy babies! Are you sure that there are only 5 fingers and 5 toes? I thought for sure that there would be a total of 20 fingers and 20 toes! {That was supposed to be funny!} Now, I'm anxious to hear about the names you guys are thinking of for Baby Girl A and Baby Boy B!
Congratulations again!!!

Jami & Mark said...

Loved the extra Brian commentary!! I like the detail, even though I don't even have kiddos (nor am I preggo).....but I like to know what's going on. So happy for you guys!!!!

Natalia said...

Yay!!!! I'm so excited for you guys :)

Mary said...

I'm glad everything is going so well!

The Morrells said...

How exciting! I bet you are absolutely thrilled! I am so excited for your cute little family. I am glad everything is going smooth. We will be coming to Cedar City toward the end of June. It would be great to see you.

DeAnne said...

This is so fun getting to experience all this through you. Having babies is one of the coolest things ever! I'm glad you are doing well and that both babies are also doing well. You guys are going to have so much fun!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

I am sure YOUR twins will be MUCH cooler and hotter than Alivyah and Tridger or however the heck you spell them! You should write to TAMN and maybe she'd be your bff.(But only if your babes aren't hotter than hers.)

Anyway, YAY for having one pink and one blue!!! Well, hopefully none of them will be "blue" when they come out but you kwim. :)

Megan Smith said...

I love getting the play by play (a little Brian language there for ya). So glad you had a good visit and can relax a little.

My little neice and nephew! They're so beautiful!

Melissa said...

Wow...the 3d photos are amazing! I am so happy for you Chelsea! Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes as well as the first half! :)

Amanda said...

Do I get some sort of prize for guessing right? :)

No really, congrats!

Pattersonfamilyof4 said...

Ah Chelsea I am so happy for you and for your hubby. I read your post and by the time I got to the bottom I was in tears (of happiness for you!). Congrats on the little boy and the little girl :)

Ashley said...

Congrats!!! That is really awesome that everything is going so well and that they are big and healthy babies. Brian is pretty funny, I am glad you guys will have a son and 2 cute daughters. That is really special.

MoDLin said...

It's great news that both of your little ones are growing strong. Love the comment about your son bopping his sister on the head! Ah, sibling rivalry already! I look forward to more good news and pictures as time goes by. Thanks for sharing this.

Jordan and Crystal said...

such good news chelsea!!! So excited to have one of each will be super fun! Glad everything is going well

M and N Tenny said...

Oh how dreamy, one boy and one girl! Double Good, Double Good, Double Mint Gum! Can't wait to hear more about this adventure you're on, I think of you often...sounds like you're handling everything very nicely! So happy for you guys.