Monday, September 7, 2009

Ideal

I haven't done a lot of blog-writing (versus video/pic posting), and that's no good cuz I don't keep a journal (nor scrapbook. I know, I'm such an unrighteous slacker). So I will write about today, which deserves be written 'bout, cuz it was totally ideal (well, barring surrealistic options, like snorkeling the Caymans or winning the Olympic trial marathon). I accidentally left the camera at home, which perhaps was a good thing. It's easier to enjoy the day if I don't have to worry about remembering to document it. So let's begin at the very beginning: 6:22 am, the child awoke. It was Brian's turn. So I slept in til 7:30. Bliss. He even took her OUTside, so I didn't have to hear her (sweet, precious) loud chattering. We headed out to Parowan for the Iron County Fair 5K. I ran a 19:29 and felt pretty good. Most of the course was downhill, which helped a lot. I won two gift cards - one for the local (ridiculously expensive) grocery store, and one for a cute little bookstore called Berries and Books. I got a gift for....someone (haven't decided yet), and a smoothie called Berry Manilow for B and b to share. They put fresh blueberries and pomegranate seeds in it! We ran into the Gunns, Niles, and Clausons at the parade we stayed after for. Brianna was thoroughly entertained (over-stimulated?) by all the floats and crazy people chucking candy. We walked up Main Street for almost 2 hours, stopping at the various sales. I religiously believe in supporting local entrepreneurs, which translates into buying a lot of homemade goods and items from yardsales. At one charity fundraiser I found a pair of crocs I had been wanting! And another one had an elderly lady sitting by boxes of peaches with a FREE sign on them. I wasn't shy. Nor was I shy about the free cucumbers being given out at a bakesale. Also bought a scrunchy for Brianna from a lady crocheting them. We headed home around noon for Brianna to take a nice long nap (almost 3 hours!) during which Brian watched a movie we bought at a yardsale (Cats and Dogs - cute show) and I did computer time. Blogging, FB, Ebay shopping... then spent an hour making the house look a tornado did NOT hit it. Brianna woke up and we headed to the St. George oven for a Going-Away BBQ with ERAC people. The manager of the St. George branch - Mike - is moving to Idaho. I'm sad - I really liked his wife. We got together a few times. The park we had the BBQ at was totally empty - I can't imagine why. Possibly the 98 degree weather. Brianna's little cheeks were bright red, and she drank more water in those few hours there than she does during most 24 hour periods. But she kept begging, "SIDE!" (slide) and "SING!" (swing). I brought marinated thick zucchini slices to throw on the grill, which were a hit. I was really surprised, honestly. I figured it was just another one of those weird things only I do. Brian really enjoyed hanging out with his Enterprisers. Seriously, I don't think I know any guy who likes his job as much as Brian does. He loves to talk car rental. After the party we hit Big 5. I had a gift card I had been meaning to spend, and we don't have a Big 5 in Cedar. So we bought a mini air hockey table, the GoFit.net Ultimate ProGym in a Bag set, Spenco inserts to hopefully help cure my plantar fasciitis, and an ankle brace for B so he doesn't kill himself playing basketball every week. Then we went drove home, playing silly songs with Brianna the whole way to keep her awake. We all went to bed at a decent hour.
So there it is - my idea of an ideal day.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

It does sound like a wonderful day (other than the 98 degree weather in St. George).

Sarah said...

Free produce rocks! Sounds like a wonderful, fun, productive day.

Becky and Brian said...

Sounds like a full and memorable day! We are getting ready for Brianna to come. It will be fun having a playmate for the week.

Crystal and Jordan said...

when you have not so good days think of this!!! love ya!!! how come you couldn't come to IDaho...j/k i guess we are leaving in 8 months anyway

Amy Hunter said...

You are cute. I love the glimpse of your perfect day. Congratulations on the 3 hour nap and the fabulous 5 k time. YOU ROCK.