Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Scenes from the shindig

When I was working at United Way (seems like a bazillion years ago), my boss, Bill, said something that really stuck with me: "The best way to get people to acknowledge your birthday is to tell them it's your birthday."
So instead of complaining that my quarter-century birthday was a little on the uneventful side... I decided to make it more eventful!
Is it weird to throw a party for yourself?

At least I didn't have to make my own cake... dear friend Kristin wouldn't allow that. Isn't she talented? I can't imagine being able to create something like this on my own.

We had a little over 20 people there - 14 adults and a bunch of kids. Perfect number for our little backyard. Brian was on grill duty (his favorite job) doing "quarter-pounders" and cornonthecob.

"So, tell me about my grilling skills - was it overdone, underdone, or just perfect?" (His actual words to each burger eater, not kidding).

That's Carly - his assistant at work. She puts up with a lot from Brian. Her hub Jeff in the background does our auto work! It's great having connections. He's actually coming over tomorrow to do something (not sure what) with our timing belts so our car can survive the drive to Phoenix next month.

Brianna just about hyperventilated when she heard that her friend emily was coming over. They laugh and scream and chase each other around. It's cute. Til they take each other's toys - then it can get uncute.

The badminton tournament

I set up 5 different games around the yard (giant darts, horseshoes, wiffle ball, badminton, and another sticky-ball thing). The kids got 5 points for each game they played. If they made it to 25 points, they got to reach into the prize bag for one of 25 fabulous mystery prizes.

Brian did his best to wrestle Brianna away from the cake, but she still managed to sneak into it. She hadn't ever actually had any before, so I thought she'd go nuts. Surprisingly, she spit the frosting back out!

I wish I had taken more pictures (or maybe just better pictures) but I was busy wearing my birthday crown (literally - I wore a birthday crown).

Had lotsa fun! People even brought me presents - I didn't expect that (but secretly hoped :) A few stayed past dark til Brianna was so wired we had to kick them out.

The end.


9 comments:

DeAnne said...

Looks like you had quite the party. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving yourself a party. Why not? I had one for myself when I turned 30. Happy Birthday :)

Unknown said...

That is awesome. I may just have to throw myself a party when the big 30 comes around.

Amy Hunter said...

Oh. You are THE QUEEN. And, can I say, that your back yard is heavenly??? Very nice. I love that Brian is a griller. I can totally see him saying those exact words. Also, hurrah for a healthy eater, spitting out the frosting??? That's the only part of the cake that my kids will eat! Awesome.

Amy Hunter said...

p.s. I didn't notice them before, for give me, but I love the quotes you have on the sidebar. They are beautiful. Thanks.

Marilyn said...

I love that cake--very clever.

Malerie said...

Wow - you guys can throw a party! Hope you had a great birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy to You! I love birthdays and I am always good at reminding people about mine, so I think it's great that you threw yourself a party.

The Moon's said...

Funny thing.... last year was my quarter century birthday and I threw myself a party too. It was one of my favorite birthdays!

Kristin, Scott, Emily and Eric said...

YAY...i'm not sure how i missed this post, but i just read it. I'm glad you liked your cake. It was my first "Quarter Century" cake I made... although i'm turning 25 this year too. Hmmmmm.