Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Foreign decor

Brian and I stayed up late one night taking care of the naked walls in our new house (finally). We have a lot of various pictures and paintings (thankyou Grandma Smith) and other decor to find spots for. Neither of us are anywhere close to interior decorators, so this was really a challenge. It was my silly ideas versus his. Finally he just grabbed the hammer, nails, measuring tape and level and told me to tell him where to go. I think he felt pretty manly with all his tools.

Brian really wanted his Philippine flag displayed somewhere in the house. Somewhere prominent - like on the front door. Or the middle of the kitchen. I had to gently explain that I wasn't so cool with the idea of the Philippine flag being the focal point of our home. Not that I have anything against that little island... it's a lovely place. I'm just not as "pinoy" crazy as B is.
So this was our compromise.

The flag is displayed in our bedroom, up high on the ledge. Visitors and guests won't see it, but I wake up to the flag of the Philippines every. single. day.

*sigh* The things we do for those we love...

6 comments:

Natalia said...

You're a good wife

Unknown said...

I concur with Natalie. You are a good wife! Randy wanted a stuffed pheasant that he had growing up and I refused to take it with us when we got married. He still holds that against me to this day!

Ash said...

I'm glad to see you guys are settling in. And glad to hear you finally got your mail! Sorry it was delayed, but at least you can know that my parents adore you. They both call and rave to me all the time about how great you are.

Amy Hunter said...

I have a Ukranian "section" in my house too. Someday, we'll all be well-off enough to let them have their own rooms to dedicate to all their memorobilia, right? Now, that would be nice.

BBS said...

great compromise...

valmike said...

Mike has a 6 ft by 6 ft Swiss flag. It used to hang proudly in our apartment, but it managed to stay in a box when we moved into our house!