Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Nonny recounts the traumatic events:

This is a tale of high stakes and quick action. A little perspective:
Who: Nonny, Cougar, Brianna & Elmo
What: A normal shopping trip to the local grocery market
Where: Yoke's Market (the cows "MOO" in the dairy isle - it's quite kid friendly)
When: This morning - approximately 9A, while Chelsea was away

Brianna, Cougar & Elmo were abroad the kid kart - normal shopping - one lost shoe, random Brianna selections making their way into the cart, free cheese sticks at the deli. Who could have guessed the trauma ahead?

We checked out and were loading the car when Brianna looked at me with an inquiring face. She asked, "Elmo?"

Eyes wide, I did a quick search. She must have sensed my obvious panic and she started crying out ..."Elmo, ELMO, Elmo!" It became a desperate search. I knew my nonny-of-the-year award would surely be revoked if I made the unthinkable mistake of losing Brianna's most prized companion. I scooped her up, told Cougar to stay close and we hurried back in. I moved quickly to Customer Service and looked the first employee I saw directly in the eye (it's important in emergencies to make sure you have the full attention of those you need to communicate with). I proclaimed, "Elmo is MISSING and we have to find him now!"

Yoke's employees are quite amazing - almost in unspoken synchronization several fanned out at the front of the store, moving slowing with searching eyes and focused attention on their mission. At the same time the voice over the loudspeaker rang throughout the store, "Elmo is missing - has anyone seen Elmo? Elmo, if you can hear this..."

The voice was interrupted when one employee triumphantly called out, "Is this Elmo?!" He raised the small red towel/blankie Elmo head high in the air, waving him triumphantly.

The world seemed to go in slow motion as Brianna locked eyes on her Elmo. She ran towards him as fast as her chubby legs could move. They embraced. It was a joyous reunion.

Lesson to be learned here, all you Moms & Dads - NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THOSE PRECIOUS LITTLE ONES! And your children too!

7 comments:

Malerie said...

Hahaha...I was totally laughing out loud at this. Excellent story telling skills...

Julie said...

whew- that was a close one!!! Good thing Nonny was smart and enrolled the help of the employees!!

Boston has a tiger he is pretty darn attached too - so I bought another one. Now we have a back up just in case!! :)

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

ROFL! Your mother is as entertaining as you are! I guess this is where you get it?
Good thing Elmo was found! I can't even imagine the panick if we lost Puppy!

Amy Hunter said...

I love it!! Your mom is awesome! I see where you get your talent for a good story! I love that the whole store united to save Elmo! I would hope I could inspire Macey's do the same to save Noah's "foxy" if, Heaven forbid, the same thing happened here. Hope you are enjoying your vaca!

Becky and Brian said...

Glad Elmo was safe! What would you have done if they couldn't find it?

M and N Tenny said...

Hey Lady! I need to learn more about your coupon clipping skills. I want to start doing the coupon clipping thing but how do I go about it? I know you've blogged about using coupons for grocery shopping. I know this is a weird question, but how did you get organized and figure out what you were doing? I feel overwhelmed! :)