Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Garden

Not mine (I wish) - my Dad's. I think it's just amazing.
Especially considering his limitations - a forest full of pesky deer, having to bring dirt in, not having a ton of accessible garden space (despite living on ten acres)...

But he sent a big TAKE THAT to those mangy deer with the bomb.com fence he put up. Not just some chain-link WT fence...a pretty one.
He planted beans, peas, BLUEBERRIES, raspberries, squash, watermelon, carrots, lettuce, a pear tree, zucchini, tomatoes...yeah, he could open a produce stand.

Just call him Farmer Steve.

The cute path going through the grow-box garden was painstakingly created rock by rock. He decorated the path by smashing up large slabs of desert-colored concrete and placing them as stepping stones.

Cougar, Brianna and I have spent a lot of time out there this past week. Brianna eats everything straight up. She's my bunny rabbit. Cougar just stares at her in fascination...and maybe partial disgust. He's more of a nuggest and fries kid.
On an unrelated note - this picture shows what Brianna does when she is asked what the DINOSAUR says. raaarrrrrrrrr

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

I'm glad you and Brianna are having a good time in Washington. The garden looks fantastic.

Sam and Melissa said...

That is my dream to have a garden like that!!!! Sounds so good.... Looks like you guys are having fun. When is the baby coming?

chelsea mckell said...

Melissa... no baby yet. Mere was induced last night. That little girl obviously just doesn't wanna come out. I'll post pics as soon as she does though.

Megan Smith said...

Fun! thanks for posting this, I've been wondering how theirs was doing. Very impressive all the hurdles they overcame for a garden spot. When you say "farmer Steve" it makes me think of the last Smith reunion when he did that skit with his brothers from "Brother, Where Art Thou":)