Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cherry Picker's Trot

Brian, Brianna, Cougar, Meredith, Papa, Nonny and I spent Thursday evening on Greenbluff at the Cherry Festival.

We had Cougar with us while his mom was working. He competed in the Kid's 100 m trot and WON! Before the race, I did extensive mental prep training with him, explaining the importance of a "game face." He was growling at the start line, ready to burst. He told me "I'm even wearing my fast underwear!"


Brianna wasn't quite as speedy as Cougar...but being the youngest competitor on the field deserves a little credit, right? And she gets points for doing it by herself - no hand-holding. Brianna just sauntered down the course, smiling and watching all the people cheering "for her" (because the world revolves around her). She refused to wear her bib number, but still got her ribbon and little bag of cherries. She gobbled those down, pits and all.

After I crossed the finish line, I grabbed Brianna and walked back to finish the race with Mom. Brianna again tested her hypothesis that saying HI to every single person she passes will result in that person smiling and saying HI back. Mom did the trot speed-walk style, finishing the 4-mile course well under her 60 minute goal time. This random lady was so proud of her that she made a sign. Just for my mom. So sweet.

p.s. - This is one of my favorite things about NOT being in Utah: seeing recycling containers at public events instead of just trash recepticles.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Looks like you guys had fun!

Julie said...

trot tot - that is the coolest thing i have heard of!

Unknown said...

Good job Brianna! I bet your time would have been faster than mine!

Amy Hunter said...

Oh baby, you are too hot to trot. I love that Brianna is already running in her mother's footsteps! A 3- generation tradition!