Thursday, June 18, 2009

When I'm assigned dessert, I BRING it

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration/boast... I'm just really proud of myself for not giving up and grabbing a package of store-bought crap for the party. I was quite limited in options, since most of our kitchen gear is in storage. I called my mom for ideas (because I call my mom for just about everything - is that normal?) and her suggestions all involved using things I didn't have. But in the background, Meredith was calling out "parfaits! trifles!" Genius child. Perhaps her pregnant brain made her more creative.
I wish I was better at taking pictures - these don't look half as tasty as they actually were. The large trifle, obviously, was half eaten before I remembered to take my camera out.


They're actually relatively healthy - for the parfaits I used GoLean Crunch cereal as the granola, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, Lite n' Fit yogurt, and TruWhip (a better version of Cool Whip - the real stuff is crap). The trifle has angelfood cake cubes, sugarfree vanilla pudding (I know, I know - some people would argue that the artificial sweeteners are evil - but how many people are suffering the consequences of too much sugar verses too much artificial sweeteners?!) , all the aforementioned berries, bananas, and the whip on top. In like 12 layers (yeah, it took for-EV-er -fortunately Brianna took a 2 hr nap).
If you can't tell yet, I'm just so darn proud of myself. I usually don't put this kind of effort into potlucks. But this was an important one, since it was our first week in Cedar and we needed to buy some friends. Because this is how real friends are acquired, right? Through desserts?

6 comments:

Amy Hunter said...

That makes me hungry! Yummmmmmy!!! You already had me as a friend, but you could buy me forever with one of those...p.s. we still have your sign, it's BY the front door, not on it. I love it...miss you guys...

Debbie said...

Ya done good - you know, we are doomed - to please the crowd, ya just gotta bring on the creme!

Kristin, Scott, Emily and Eric said...

And I am here to testify that this dessert was truly FABULOUS! :) I had a whole lot... but since it was healthy... it was okay, right? :) Thanks for bringing it!!

Megan Smith said...

What a good idea to use Go Lean instead of granola. Also, I want to know where you buy the alternative whip topping--do you find it in regular grocery stores or health food stores only?

Next potluck (when you have your gear back): spinach brownies!

DeAnne said...

That looks delicious :) Are artificial sweeteners really evil? I hope not, it's part of what is getting me through having gestational diabetes. I hope my baby isn't born with a third eye...

Mandy said...

That DOES look yummy!! I wish I had some right now! :)