Sunday, June 14, 2009

tHe BEST dAd EVER!

Caution, folks: this will be a sassy one.
With Father’s Day approaching, I would like to illustrate (and rant on) one of my pet peeves:
  • The phrase “pet peeve.” It makes no sense, and sounds…ridiculous.
  • More importantly – the focus of this inconsequential and potentially condescending post – the way-to-frequent occasion of hearing/reading others use the phrase “the BEST dad in the WORLD!” Alternately: “The greatest dad EVER!” and various forms of this irritating statement (made worse by multiple exclamation points, which I loathe – I could do an entire whining post about how annoying these !!!!! are). Within the next 8 days, I will undoubtedly read and hear the “best-dad-ever” declaration numerous times. Let’s discuss this (in list form – I’m in a list mood):
  1. Is it really necessary to praise a father and/or husband by comparing him to others? Must we, essentially, insult other dads in order to pay tribute to our own?
  2. There are 6 billion people on the planet. Let’s estimate that 2 billion of them are fathers. Chances are… there just might be one that performs his fatherly role slightly better. Just saying.
If, by chance, this maddening phrase is used simply because the daughter/wife is lacking more appropriate expressions, here are a few suggestions:
  • My father/husband is great.
  • My father/husband is wonderful.
Done. Happyhappy Father’s Day.
Stay tuned for the report of Brianna’s gift to her daddy this year. It’s going to be the cutest thing EVER!!!

5 comments:

The Morrells said...

Sorry to tell you Chelsea, but I do believe I have the greatest Dad in the WHOLE world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol!

chelsea mckell said...

grrr... I knew I'd get a response like yours....
:)
But then - what about your husband? By saying YOUR dad is the best in the world, you are saying he is a better father than Jason is to your children. How would Mr. Morrell feel bout THAT? "sorry honey - my daddy is THE best. You'll have to settle for second. Keep trying though."
=)
(ps - I'm pretty sure you were simply mocking me. But as you can tell...I'm pretty wound up on this one. Don't mess)

Unknown said...

LOL. Glenn always says I'm the best wife he ever had. Then we laugh and say things like, yeah, that wife number two had stinky feet.

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I am one of those people that uses exclamation points like they are going out of style! They are just so much prettier than periods!

I think that Randy is the best dad in the world to Addison. I think she chose him as her father because he would be the best for her! Anyway, that's my two cents!

Love ya!

Amy Hunter said...

I'm dying. I love you. You crack me up. You are the funniest person IN THE WORLD.