Thursday, May 7, 2009

This is how much Brianna enjoys immunization shots:



I know that might seem odd and cruel to take a picture... but I wanted to be unique. Every mom/baby goes through this, many blog or talk about the horrors of it... but no one captures the moment. This was the first time Brian was there to endure the ordeal with us, so I let him off the hook of having to hold her and be the bad guy (because of course, after the shot she gives me a heartbreaking look like, "how could you let them DO this to me?!?!")
But thanks to today's 15-month immunization update, Brianna will never be sent over to the neighbor's house when she's 6 yrs old to "play," and wonder why her friend is covered in little itchy dots, only to find herself miserably covered in them a few days later. Not that I'm bitter about that.
Brianna was happy again 30 seconds and one lollipop later.
It's funny - I remember totally bawling the first two times she had to get shots, when she was a newborn. Maybe it was the post-delivery hormones.
I tried to get her to smile at me for a decent 15-month picture (today's the actual day!) but she wasn't in a the mood. Perhaps she knew what was coming.


But if she didn't quite grasp the reality of her impending trauma at this point (she was too busy looking at the fish)

...she certainly got the picture when Dr. Kwak came in (yes, that's really his name) !


On a more positive note, here are today's STATS:

Weight = 23.1 oz ~ 60th percentile
Height = 32.5 in ~ 90th percentile
Head circ = 47 in ~ 95th percentile

All is well in Brianna-land.

8 comments:

Amy Hunter said...

I'm so glad you caught the moment. It is terrible, isn't it? The old saying, "this hurts me more than it hurts you" is most certainly true in these cases. At least, I think so. You made me laugh with the chicken pox scenario, "not that I'm bitter about that." You are such a fun writer. I love to read your blog!

Unknown said...

We went to "play" with the neighbors too...tricky parents. I love Brianna's little curl on top of her head! Emma gets her 18 month shots in a week or so, maybe I should take a picture too!

Sarah said...

someday our kids will thank us for all these nasty things we put them through!

Julie said...

so wow - I just took Boston in for his 1 year appt. today and it was the saddest thing ever. He screamed harder than I have ever heard and he screamed and screamed and screamed. Nothing calmed him down. He screamed for 1.5 hours and finally fell asleep. oh man. it was a bad day feeling like a horrible mother. Glad Brianna got happy after a lolipop :)

Debbie said...

She is turning out to be quite a little blondie. Do you feel deprived not having pics of YOUR most traumatic moments?

Sam and Melissa said...

I think she will lvoe having all these funny pictures when she is older. I would. About the race.... I am not sure if the lady I work with is going to be able to get me a bib either, but don't worry... we'll make it happen. I am not sure what the bib's look like... but I think we can just have one of our husbands drive us up to the start and then run it with everyone. I am a pro at running races unregistered. I actually did register last week for a 5k and felt kinda ripped off :) I think I have enough running shirts to last a lieftime or two.

Unknown said...

Poor little girl! I hate when they have to get immunizations too! I think it still makes me cry a little bit! Good job Brianna on being a healthy little girl!

Mandy said...

I agree, immunizations stink! To bad it's really for their own good! :) It doesn't get better as they get older, my girls hate even the mention of going to the Dr.! I STILL have to hold them down to get their shots. No fun.