Wednesday, May 13, 2009

House hunting trip

Yesterday we donned our camo and headed to Cedar to hunt down a house.
Of course, being married as I am to the Enterprise man, I've been educated in the benefits of putting excessive road trip miles on a rental car rather than on our own. 726 miles for this excursion. So we used our employee discount, which includes damage waiver, and I rode in comfort and security.
For the first hour, anyway.
I've whined about this before... but I reallyreally hate road trips. Sitting on my bum for hour after hour after hour... ugh. Even stopping along the roadside and getting out to play doesn't console me. Doesn't matter how good our books on CD are. I hate being trapped. Brianna thoroughly agrees with me. Though she mostly slept and snacked pleasantly enough. We stopped at the 9,114 ft summit of Indian Canyon where there were still patches of snow!






I was pleasantly surprised with Cedar City. I'd only been there once before, but it was while Brian and I were engaged so of course I can't remember anything because I was in la-la land. Cedar has all the normal retail places, plus local shops that look promising. There are tons of parks and signs for events going on.

We stayed at the Knight's Inn (get it - the Shakespearean festival - very appropriately themed). Brian and Brianna hit the pool while I took myself on a walking tour of Cedar. I went to the Parks and Rec office and the Chamber of Commerce where they gave me a big stack of brochures, maps, and info about the area. I also went by Wells Fargo and got our pre-approval for our home loan so we could go house-hunting fully armed and loaded.






I got to go running in the morning on a gorgeous trail next to Coal Creek. The river is overflowing and really muddy - it looks like light-colord chocolate milk. The trail was so beautiful, and had several paths up into higher trails. I can't wait to explore more!
On the way to and from Cedar, we stopped in Ferron, Brian's home town. His dad was there so we hung out for awhile. I really like Brian's dad. He's one of the easiest people to be around that I've ever met. Brianna found the neighbor's cat and had a great time chasing it down, saying "mao, mao, mao." She finally chased it into a tree.


















We narrowed our casa options to these two:

Both are 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage twin homes. Both have private fenced-in backyards, but the bigger home's backyard is dead - no grass, no sprinkers, just dirt and weeds. The smaller home has a cute fully landscaped backyard. It also comes with more appliances (fridge, washer and dryer!). But the big home has a slightly better location - right by Gold's gym. It's a little more expensive too. Both built in '05, so neither qualify for Utah's $6K Home Run Grant. But all the homes that did qualify weren't in great locations - they were in new subdivisions far away from the main part of the town. We looked at about a dozen listings. Brianna just loved being taken in and out of the carseat over and over all afternoon (heavy sarcasm).
I like the bigger home because it's two levels - the small one is Ranch style. But I like the smaller one because of the yard and nice tile floors. Both have great master bedrooms and big pantrys. Both look like they're in nice neighborhoods. Both are on short-sale, so this process could take longer than normal. And both would feel like heaven after living in this dumpy Vernal rental duplex for over a year!

12 comments:

Julie said...

I didn't realize you had only been to Cedar City once - lol - and I even remember when you came to visit! :) I used to (back in the day when I could actually kind of run/jog) jog that same trail - it is sooo beautiful - seriously!! I miss it right now! I like Cedar. I think both houses look very nice!! If you like the bigger one a wee bit better - heck do it! We are having to put our yard in too - so we can be buds doing the same yard work just a few hours apart. Doesn't that sounds fun? and besides if it's right by the golds gym that means it's right by the Hampton Inn, the Applebees, Wal-mart...and a really really really cool park just up the hill from the hampton inn!! :) I think it is called Discovery park - totally rocks!!

Well keep me posted I am so excited for you guys!!!

Amy Hunter said...

I vote for #1, coolest entryway and close to the gym, can't beat that! And Brian can have fun fixing up the backyard, right? Right.

Anonymous said...

oh i like them both. i am so excited for you! good luck deciding.

Ashley said...

Those both look like awesome places, they look so nice and new.

Dan and Anne said...

how fun to be able to look at houses! I can't wait till we have money to do that (but I will have to since houses out here cost a small fortune!) I really like both of the houses but the one on top looks the cutest to me. The Gold's gym would be a really nice thing too! Keep us updated and put pics up of the inside too!

Marilyn said...

Both houses are attractive from the outside. How exciting to be starting an adventure in Cedar City. We usually go there each year for the Shakespearean Festival and love the city itself.

The McClellan Clan said...

location is key, but boy do I miss having a yard for my kids to play in. After going back to visit our friends in st. george I realized how important that yard is. Look at the all around floor plan and what would sell better in the end. You can't go wrong with that. You will love it there!! I'm bummed you're moving and we still haven't hung out. I've seen you at the gym alot though, Yes I'm stalking you, JUSt KIDDING- you're usually walking into it while I'm leaving. Good luck my dear. I'm thinking I'll fit nicely into one of your boxes! ;)

Sam and Melissa said...

Go for the top one!!!! I like the way it looks a lot more (well, from the outside). That sounds like fun house-hunting, I can't wait for that.

Malerie said...

Wow! Both are super cute. I'm so jealous. Enjoy house hunting!

BBS said...

The suspense is killing me. Which did you choose???

Mandy said...

Ya, house hunting is fun, but I still don't envy you having to move again! :) I HATE moving! Especially when it's not a local move!! I think the house closest to the gym sounds great!! So, I guess we will see a post soon about which one you picked?!? :)

Crystal and Jordan said...

yes i like the top one...I guess it depends if you want to do the backyard....we are house hunting in Nebraska right now....it is tough....however we are looking for something just while in school....its kinda overwhelming....