Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Abandonment at the Uintah Recreation Center

We finally got a family pass to the Rec Center here in Vernal. I feel really lame for not doing it earlier... especially since it's only a half-mile from our home. But I've just been in "camping" mode here for the past year - always thinking we were just a month or two away from moving back to Provo. Now I'm set on "nesting" in Vernal (which could change anytime - Brian has an interview today for an ERAC manager gig in Boise - but I've learned not to bank on anything. Ever. I shouldn't even be mentioning it).
So the Rec Center - yeah, it's pretty sweet looking, eh? Has an indoor track, two full bball courts, volleyball, two pools, pingpong, childcare, classes, rock wall climbing, cardio/weights... all for $52/month. Not bad - though much more pricey than Gold's was for us. Oh well - that's rural life for ya - gotta be grateful this facility is even here! Just a few months ago, it WASN'T. There was no real gym in Vernal. But now we have an incredible facility. So last week when Brian woke up early with Brianna (she's still instigating the 6am party) I told him - just go over to Rec Center and sign us up and and play with her there." He's like... okay... and came home an hour later with passes and a year contract.

These pics are of the tour Brianna and I took ourselves on. She LOVES the big slide (sitting on my lap, of course).

She also enjoyed a jog around the track (gleefully escaping from my attempts to keep her out of other's way). Brian loves the bball courts and can show up there anytime and likely find other random guys wanting to play pickup. We used those same courts in the Fall/Winter in my volleyball league.

What I've most enjoyed is the CLASSES. I love,love,love,love classes. Kickboxing, weightlifting (aka pump), boot camp... they're awesome, and so motivating.

PROBLEM: Brianna does NOT like classes. For her, that means confinement to the childcare area. It's her first "daycare" type experience, and she has made it very clear that she doesn't appreciate me leaving her with the nice ladies. In a room full of fun, clean toys. With only kids under 2. Hmph. You'd think she'd be in heaven. Nope - she screams for the first few minutes after I leave her, then just sits in the corner depressed, drinking her bottle, occasionally playing with toys, bursting into tears whenever another mom comes to dropoff/pickup their child. Really makes me feel like Mom-of-the-Year. So I've debated whether to just giveup and try again when she's older...then I look at my jeans that are fitting wayyy to tight and determine that this little girl needs to tough it out. Brian thinks it will be good for her. I hope so. I don't want her sitting some shrink's office in the future telling him about her traumatic childhood abandonment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just consider it practice time for nursery!

Marilyn said...

This is a really impressive facility. I agree with Brian about leaving Chelsea. I think I should have left my daughters with sitters/nursery people more often. They were very clingy and shy. I wanted strong and independent!

Mandy said...

I am so amazed at how many Rec Centers there are in UT! Pretty cool! I imagine that it would be good for Brianna to be left, however, I was always the mom that didn't like to leave if my kids weren't happy . . . as a result, they usually do just fine! Good luck!! :)